<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://readeroffictions.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
A Reader of Fictions: I Hate Everything About You - Three Days Grace

A Reader of Fictions

Book Reviews for Just About Every Kind of Book

Friday, February 4, 2011

I Hate Everything About You - Three Days Grace

Sugarholic

Author: Gong GooGoo
Volumes: 5

Brief Summary:
This manhwa series follows a country girl, Jae-Gyu Sin, a 20 year old. After her mother and grandmother kick her out of the nest, she goes to the city to live with her older brother. She keeps bumping into and embarrassing a tall guy with curly hair, Whie-Hwan, who, through weird circumstances, she ends up working for as a pretend girlfriend. Meanwhile, her childhood friend, who has been in love with her for years and is now a pop star, is trying to win her affection, but she thinks he wants to revenge himself on her for her many childhood pranks.

Review:
Holy cow but this is one absurd story. I have read a lot of manga and manhwa (which is the Korean version of manga by the way and is read from front to back like American graphic novels) and have read many with crazier plots. Still, this one was not redeemed by being charming or anything. I really should have stopped after volume one...but it had some sort of dark power that kept me turning the pages, like I couldn't help but watch the car crash of badness.

Things that really bothered me about this series:
  1. The art: manhwa has, in general, a very distinct look, which differs from manga. I prefer the Japanese style art, although some manhwa are gorgeous. This is not one of those. The characters are supposed to be attractive, but really are not. They are odd and misshapen with incredibly absurd hair. The thing that bothered me most though were the clothes. They were always insanely wrinkled, probably in an attempt to look natural that failed epically.
  2. GooGoo? Really? There had to be a better way to convert that to English characters.
  3. The main character nearly getting raped twice.
  4. The obnoxious character who serves not purpose but to attempt rape on the main character, but who still shows up from time to time.
  5. Jae-Gyu is insanely blind to her feelings and those of others. Beyond the point that is particularly natural or funny.
  6. Jae-Gyu's best friend, who gets dropped from the plot and exists only so that guys can ask her how to contact Jae-Gyu.
  7. The ending, which skips the romantic reconciliation blahdiblah and goes straight to the our future will be so glorious. The End.
I definitely do not recommend this, but I had to review just to get a good rant off my chest. Does it happen to others? This occasional inability to stop reading truly awful books?

"I hate everything about you
Why do I love you"

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger CJ said...

Yeah, I'm reading this now and am up to vol 2. I can't stand Jae-Gyu and this is definitely filed away under obnoxious girl/bad "seemingly deep" but quite abusive and/or deceptive boy.

I'll keep reading just because I have that on loan from the library but I have little to no hope with this one.

February 12, 2011 at 12:19 PM  

Post a Comment

Every comment is appreciated and I will almost always respond, because I love conversing about books!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home