<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://readeroffictions.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
A Reader of Fictions: Home - Kristen Chenoweth

A Reader of Fictions

Book Reviews for Just About Every Kind of Book

Sunday, May 8, 2011

Home - Kristen Chenoweth

The Cassini Code
Galahad, Book 3

Author:
Dom Testa
Pages: 272
ARC Acquired From: Tor

Brief Summary:

In the previous Galahad books, the crew had to unite to face down an external danger. This time, there is, yet again, an external danger (the Kuiper belt), but also an internal one (disgruntled crew members led by one Merit Simms). Merit is leading a return to earth movement, arguing that the Galahad has had too many close calls already and will not make it to Eos, and that the Cassini likely fixed the Bhaktul problem on Earth. Triana and the council have to persuade everyone not to revolt, while navigating the ship safely through the asteroid belt.

Review:
I never particularly liked this series, and my patience for it has just continued to wane. The only reason I went this far is that I had an ARC of this book, so I felt compelled to read it. These books might be good for reluctant readers perhaps. That is the biggest problem actually. These teens are supposed to be the smartest ones that earth had to offer, and yet they really do not come off as particularly intelligent.

There is a lot of time spent on romantic drama, which was, unfortunately, the most interesting part. And yet, it wasn't very interesting. No good stuff ever happens; people just whine about how they're confused. Ugh! I really don't know which is worse: couples who are absurdly in love/obsession or people who can't make up their mind who they like/what to do about who they like.

These books aren't the worst things I've ever read, but they are pretty boring and there's just nothing special in them. The characterization is lousy, with one-dimensional characters, the comic relief (Roc, the computer) fails, actually irritating the crap out of me instead of lightening the mood, and the dangers do not worry the reader, as it is so obvious that Testa has no intention of killing anyone off. You're writing a dystopian series, dude, so it cannot be all sunshine and kittens!

Book four in the series is coming out sometime this year, but I shan't be reading it. I'm out.

"Suddenly my world's gone and changed its face
But I still know where I'm going (where I'm going)
I have had my mind spun around in space
And yet I've watched it growing
If you're listening God, please don't make it hard to go
To know if we should believe the things that we see
Tell us should we try and stay (should we stay)
Or should we run away?
Or would it be better just to let things be?"

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Every comment is appreciated and I will almost always respond, because I love conversing about books!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home