<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://readeroffictions.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
A Reader of Fictions: That's All I've Got to Say - Jeff Bridges & Mia Farrow

A Reader of Fictions

Book Reviews for Just About Every Kind of Book

Sunday, May 22, 2011

That's All I've Got to Say - Jeff Bridges & Mia Farrow

The Last Unicorn

Adapted By: Peter B. Gillis
Illustrator: Renae De Liz
Pages: 167
ARC Acquired From: IDW Publishing via NetGalley

As a child, I greatly adored horses and, even more, their mythological counterparts, pegasi and unicorns. It should come as no surprise then that one of my favorite movies as a child was The Last Unicorn. It is very much one of those kid's movies that you either watched as a child and will thus adore forever, but, if watched for the first time in adulthood, definitely comes off as incredibly creepy. I can totally see why others don't like it, but it will forever hold a dear place in my heart.

For the most part, this graphic novel version of the story covers the same ground as the film. The look of the characters very clearly was inspired by the film version as well. The small additions to the plot in some places, and the subtractions (like the tree that freaked people out the most in the movie), made me even more curious to read the original novel. That is definitely a thing I need to do someday.

The graphic novel is definitely pretty and oh so colorful. However, its brevity means that a few things have to be cut. Much of the trimming took place in the latter half of the tale, making it rather confusing and, did I not know the story, I likely would have been confused by much of the time spent in King Haggard's castle.

"Once when I was searching
Somewhere out of reach
Far away
In a place I could not find
Or heart obey
Now that I'm a woman
Now I know the way"

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger 1600 Words A Day said...

I just picked up a copy of The Last Unicorn on BluRay during a shopping excursion at Target. My husband had never seen it before and he loved it---except for the songs by America. Those were not a feature.

The digital ARC is kind of hard to get a good look at on my computer--I'm working on getting my hands on a good e-reader for the non-kindle-friendly formats, but what I saw looked really beautiful. Also, it just so happens that I saw a copy of this in Barnes and Noble today. It's even more lovely in print :-) The only downside is it's so pretty, I think it might scare off the boys.

May 22, 2011 at 9:31 PM  

Post a Comment

Every comment is appreciated and I will almost always respond, because I love conversing about books!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home