<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://readeroffictions.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
A Reader of Fictions: Geek Stink Breath - Green Day

A Reader of Fictions

Book Reviews for Just About Every Kind of Book

Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Geek Stink Breath - Green Day

Geek Girl

Author: Cindy C. Bennett
Pages: 280
ARC Acquired from: Cedar Fort via NetGalley

Brief Summary:
Out of a combination of boredom and a need for something interesting to do, Jen makes a bet with her friends that she can turn one of the school geeks, Trevor, into a bad boy. When she first approaches him, he is completely blown away; it's not every day a goth girl says 'hi' to a nerd. At first, she seems to be making really good progress, only she finds herself liking him way too much. Worst of all, even though he makes her happy, she knows there's no way she, a foster child with a history of abuse and being unwanted, could ever be good enough for him.

Review:
On the one hand, you totally know what you're going to get with this book. The formula's definitely been done; if you don't believe me, go watch She's All That and then imagine it with reversed gender roles (or even Drive Me Crazy, and skip the role reversal). On the other hand, though, I think Bennett has done a really good job of making a pretty trite formula into a really great read.

Unlike the movies I mentioned, Jen has a reason for being the way that she is. Her childhood was completely awful and she has used drugs, alcohol, makeup and acting out as a way of escaping her pain. Watching her grow and overcome her past throughout the novel is exceedingly touching. I couldn't help but root for her as she managed to shed her skin and learned about happiness. Plus, Jen had a really authentic voice; she really seemed to think like a teenager.

Another addition that Bennett made to the story was placing the dramatic reveal at the center of the story. What I mean by that is that the inevitable scene wherein her treachery is revealed and the relationship ends comes much earlier in the plot line than usual. This allows for a more realistic timeline for the relationship to recover or not.

Of course, what I really liked about the book was the nerdiness. There are a ton of sci fi references to just about every nerdy sci fi thing you can imagine. Needless to say, each one gave me my own geeky glee, even if it was something I haven't watched yet. Additionally, I loved Trevor. Where's my fit, wonderful nerd boy? Seriously, he's amazing, and a much better kind of guy for teenage girls to be reading about and wanting than an Edward or a Jacob.

So, if you like that old formula, and want to read about some geeky references and a troubled girl learning how to have a real, happy future, look no further. I definitely recommend this!

"I'm on a mission
I made my decision
To lead a path of self destruction"

Labels: , , , , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Nori said...

It kind of sounds like Fan boy and Goth Girl too.

November 16, 2011 at 1:53 PM  

Post a Comment

Every comment is appreciated and I will almost always respond, because I love conversing about books!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home