<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://readeroffictions.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
A Reader of Fictions: Ten More Kickass YA Heroines

A Reader of Fictions

Book Reviews for Just About Every Kind of Book

Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Ten More Kickass YA Heroines

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.
This week's TTT is a topic that's totally up my alley, so up my alley in fact that I did it earlier this year before I joined this meme. Rather than skipping, I decided to round up ten more girls you would not want to try to order around or have to go up against in a cage match. Also, I don't feel like hunting down cover images and Goodreads links right now, so if you want more info, I'm linking you to my review, kay?

1. Thursday Next (Thursday Next Series - Jasper Fforde)

Thursday is such a badass, and a unique one too. Most of my heroines today will undoubtedly be from YA fiction and near their physical prime. Thursday, however, is in her 40s and 50s, but you still do not want to mess with her. She's also a loving mother and devoted wife, just one that packs heat and can face any challenge.

2. Ismae (Grave Mercy - Robin Lafevers)

How could I not put Ismae on this list? I mean, she's a freaking nun assassin. She works for a death god. You don't mess with that. She can kill you with violence or with poisons, so you don't even see it coming. Ismae is freaking hardcore and I love it.

3. Aya (Carnival of Souls - Melissa Marr)

So, in Carnival of Souls, you have two heroines. One is a sheltered girl with a pathetic crush and who has pretty much no idea what's going on ever. The other is Aya, an upper crust girl who turned down marriage (to a guy she loved) for a chance at independence and a position in the government, unheard of for a woman. Her only chance? Enter a brutal competition of fights to the death and beat all the manly men. And she's succeeding!

4. Saba (Dust Lands - Moira Young)

Here we have another girl who you literally do not want to take on in a one on one battle to the death, because we know for sure that she's going to win. She has the track record to prove it. Saba doesn't start out all that strong, having always been dependent on her brother who she idol-worshiped. When he's kidnapped, though, she has to learn to be strong for herself, and holy crap does she.

5. Darla (Ashfall - Mike Mullin)

Male authors these days do not shy away from writing about women who could kick their butts and I love it. The main character of the Ashfall series is Alex, who has awesome martial arts moves admittedly, but, otherwise, is a hot mess of failure on the survival front. He owes his survival almost entirely to Darla, his incredibly strong, intelligent and resourceful girlfriend. Her strength is not only in gun-shooting and fighting, but in the ability to fix engines and rig up corn grinders and things like that.

6. Scarlett (Sisters Red - Jackson Pearce)

Scarlett is totally intense and like no other YA heroine I've ever met. For one thing, she wears an eye patch because she lost one of her eyes defeating a fenris when she was freaking eleven. If that's not the definition of kickassery, I don't know what is. With Scarlett, there will be no mooning over boys or other girly pastimes. Scarlett's favorite thing to do is kill fenris, which she does with great skill.

7. Vienne (Black Hole Sun - David Macinnis Gill)

Another powerful heroine written by a man who could totally beat up her boyfriend, no matter how musclebound he is on the cover. Also, Durango's totally okay with that, which is even better.

8. Miranda (False Memory - Dan Krokos)

Miranda and her crew have been raised to be fighting machines. Also, this book had some of the best-written fight scenes I've read in a long time. I really appreciated that there were strong girls and guys in this.

9. Celaena (Throne of Glass - Sarah J. Maas)

Alright, I know this one is divisive, but I'm counting her. A lot of people didn't like that Celaena, a badass assassin, spent a lot of time flirting with boys, eating candy and thinking about pretty clothes. Personally, I liked that, because why can't an assassin love pretty things? What it comes down to is this girl can fight. I suspect that her badassery as a killer is highlighted in the prequel novellas which I am too cheap to buy.

10. Keladry (Protector of the Small - Tamora Pierce)

Tamora Pierce is like the queen of writing powerful heroines, so I guess these lists aren't complete without her for me. Kel is a freaking lady knight. I mean, come on. Alanna paved the way for her, sure, but that's still seriously kickass. Armor is heavy, y'all.

Labels:

15 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Scarlett was on my list to! Throne of Glass and Grave Mercy are both on my TBR list, can't wait to read them!

October 30, 2012 at 12:06 PM  
Blogger Casey said...

I agree on Kel (shamefully the only of these I've read >.<) because Kel even manages to do it without having the Gift, which, in many ways, makes her more kickass than Alanna, as awesome as Alanna is. Of course, I have a soft spot for Kel :D She's my kind of girl.

Also, I still want to read Throne of Glass so bad, but my otherwise wonderful library doesn't have it D:

October 30, 2012 at 1:39 PM  
Blogger Christina said...

Scarlett is such a BAMF. Grave Mercy is wonderful. Everyone doesn't love Throne of Glass, but I liked it a whole lot!

October 30, 2012 at 1:43 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

I liked Celeana too, especially for the reason you mentioned: that she liked girly things. I really liked that she was into clothes and boys but could also kill someone as easily as look at them. Great combo!

October 30, 2012 at 1:44 PM  
Blogger Christina said...

Hahaha, true! I forgot about Alanna having the gift. Alanna was in my first batch. I like that Kel does it with just regular human strength. She's an underdog succeeding!

Oh noes!

October 30, 2012 at 1:44 PM  
Blogger Christina said...

Yes! I'm not the only one! I knew I couldn't be, but couldn't think of someone specific that had that same opinion. :)

October 30, 2012 at 1:45 PM  
Blogger Kimberly @ Midnight Book Girl said...

Hmmmm, the only book I've read on this list is Ashfall. And of course you know I agree with Darla being on this list. Alex would be nowhere without her. I'll have to check out these other books!

October 30, 2012 at 1:58 PM  
Blogger Christina said...

You should definitely check them out! They rock!

And Alex is nigh useless with his gun-dropping ways!

October 30, 2012 at 4:32 PM  
Blogger Giselle said...

So many books I have to read! O_O I actually have False Memory coming up for review in a week so I'll be meeting Miranda soon! Carnival of Souls is also high on my t-read list!

October 30, 2012 at 4:41 PM  
Blogger fakesteph said...

Caelana and Scarlet are totally bad asses. I'd like to see them go head to head in a cage fight.

October 30, 2012 at 5:44 PM  
Blogger Nori said...

I love this list! Still need to read Ashfall though!

October 30, 2012 at 8:40 PM  
Blogger Christina said...

Oooh, I think you'll like False Memory. There's a lot of action and powerful ladies and stuff!

October 31, 2012 at 11:40 AM  
Blogger Christina said...

Oh man, I'm pretty sure that would be intense like whoa.

October 31, 2012 at 11:40 AM  
Blogger Christina said...

Do it, Nori!

October 31, 2012 at 11:40 AM  
Blogger Kara_Malinczak said...

Yes for Saba and Darla. The other ones I haven't read yet except for Grave Mercy. But I didn't even consider Ismae because she didn't do THAT much ass-kicking. LOL. I know, I am a jerk. I definitely will be reading Throne of Glass soon. I just received it in the mail a couple of weeks ago. Can't wait. This was a fun topic but really tough for me to do.

November 1, 2012 at 1:41 PM  

Post a Comment

Every comment is appreciated and I will almost always respond, because I love conversing about books!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home