<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://readeroffictions.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
A Reader of Fictions: Waiting on Wednesday (29): The Milk of Birds

A Reader of Fictions

Book Reviews for Just About Every Kind of Book

Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Waiting on Wednesday (29): The Milk of Birds

Waiting on Wednesday is hosted by Breaking the Spine.

This book will depress me no end, but I simply must read it. The cover is lovely and heartbreaking all at once. I think I'm going to start mentally preparing myself now and maybe I'll be able to handle this by April. Probably not, though, because I expect it to be that intense.

The Milk of Birds

Author: Sylvia Whitman
Expected Publication Date: April 16, 2013
Publisher: Atheneum Books for Young Readers

Synopsis from Goodreads:
This timely, heartrending novel tells the moving story of a friendship between two girls: one an American teen, one a victim of the crisis in Darfur.

Know that there are many words behind the few on this paper…

Fifteen-year-old Nawra lives in Darfur, Sudan, in a camp for refugees displaced by the Janjaweed’s trail of murder and destruction. Nawra cannot read or write, but when a nonprofit organization called Save the Girls pairs her with an American donor, Nawra dictates her thank-you letters. Putting her experiences into words begins to free her from her devastating past—and to brighten the path to her future.

K. C. is an American teenager from Richmond, Virginia, who hates reading and writing—or anything that smacks of school. But as Nawra pours grief and joy into her letters, she inspires K. C. to see beyond her own struggles. And as K. C. opens her heart in her responses to Nawra, she becomes both a dedicated friend and a passionate activist for Darfur.

In this poetic tale of unlikely sisterhood, debut author Sylvia Whitman captures the friendship between two girls who teach each other compassion and share a remarkable bond that bridges two continents.

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger Casey said...

She's spelling Casey wrong

but I do agree that it sounds good!

October 17, 2012 at 9:19 AM  
Blogger Nori said...

This sounds really good! I never heard of this one. But, I love a good pen pal story.

October 17, 2012 at 11:46 AM  
Blogger biochemguy said...

I hadn't heard of this one before but it does look interesting. Thanks for sharing! ^.^ If you would like to check out my Waiting On Wednesday you can do so here. :)

October 17, 2012 at 12:24 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

Oh man. This looks incredible! This is the kind of books I've been waiting for in YA - an "issues" book that doesn't revolve around rape or drugs or pregnancy etc. This and NEVER FALL DOWN by Patricia McCormick are the types of books I'd love to see more of!!!

October 17, 2012 at 12:30 PM  
Blogger Christina said...

Yes! :-D

October 18, 2012 at 11:49 AM  

Post a Comment

Every comment is appreciated and I will almost always respond, because I love conversing about books!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home