<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://readeroffictions.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
A Reader of Fictions: Waiting on Wednesday (30): The Trouble with Flirting

A Reader of Fictions

Book Reviews for Just About Every Kind of Book

Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Waiting on Wednesday (30): The Trouble with Flirting

Waiting on Wednesday is hosted by Breaking the Spine.

Initially, I wasn't especially interested in this one, ngl. I mean, the cover isn't doing anything for me and it sounds super cutesy. However, then I read those magic words: "inspired by Mansfield Park." Okay, so I hate Mansfield Park, but I love Jane Austen and I want to read pretty much every retelling ever. The fact that I'm not in love with the source material could actually result in me liking this better. I just hope Franny has a backbone, unlike Fanny Price.

The Trouble with Flirting

Author: Claire LaZebnik
Expected Publication Date: February 26, 2013
Publisher:HarperTeen

Synopsis from Goodreads:
In this fun romance inspired by Jane Austen's Mansfield Park, Franny Pearson learns about the troubles that flirting can cause-and enjoys (almost) every second of it.

Franny Pearson never dreamed she'd be attending the prestigious Mansfield College Summer Theater Program. And she's not, exactly. She's working for her aunt, the drama department's costume designer. But sewing her fingers to the bone does give her an opportunity to spend time with her longtime crush, Alex. If only he was as taken with the girl hemming his trousers as he is with his new leading lady. When Harry, a notorious flirt, shows more than a friendly interest in Franny, she figures it can't hurt to have a little fun. But why is Alex suddenly giving her those deep, meaningful looks?

In this charming tale of mixed messages and romantic near-misses, Claire LaZebnik (author of Epic Fail, inspired by Pride and Prejudice) has cleverly reimagined the world of Mansfield Park, crafting a fun, engaging romance, filled with witty narration and fantastic banter. Flirting might be more trouble than Franny ever expected, but fans of Susane Colasanti, Stephanie Perkins, and of course Jane Austen will agree that it makes for an irresistible read.

Labels:

15 Comments:

Blogger Jenni said...

This sounds good! I agree the super cutesy cover doesn't do anything for me either. Such a neat idea to want to read the retellings in hopes of enjoying them more than the source material. Most people would run BECAUSE they didn't like the source material. Great pick!

October 24, 2012 at 9:33 AM  
Blogger Angela @ Reading Angels said...

I do enjoy retellings. :D

October 24, 2012 at 10:11 AM  
Blogger Gina @ My Precious said...

I read and enjoyed Anna and the French Kiss. This sounds a little similar just because the narrator sounds kind of snarky. I'm not a huge fan of contemp lately, though this does sound promising. Great pick.

October 24, 2012 at 11:33 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

This sounds really good! I hope you get it :) I'm now adding this to by TBR pile. I actually found you on Bookshelver's Anonymous and I'm glad I did. New follower!

blueskyshelf.blogspot.com

October 24, 2012 at 3:24 PM  
Blogger Christina said...

Well, I always have been weird. I pretty much want to read every retelling, even when I hated the source material or haven't read it. Not sure why. I love covers of songs too, which must come from the same impulse.

October 24, 2012 at 3:59 PM  
Blogger Christina said...

I've only recently started reading YA contemporaries with any sort of regularity.

October 24, 2012 at 3:59 PM  
Blogger Christina said...

Awww, thanks! Glad you pointed out that post. :)

October 24, 2012 at 3:59 PM  
Blogger Gina @ My Precious said...

I'm sort of hot and cold with them. I used to read them like crazy and now I've switched gears, gravitating to middle grade and YA fantasy or dystopian like reads as my top picks. I also found I like fairy tale re-tellings or just re-tellings in general.

October 24, 2012 at 4:12 PM  
Blogger Christina said...

Fantasy has been my love for ages and I don't see that changing. Dystopian has become my more recent focus, within the last couple of years.

I add pretty much every retelling to GR automatically. I am developing a love for the dark, gritty contemporary novels though, and reading the odd light and fluffy one too.

October 24, 2012 at 4:15 PM  
Blogger A Beautiful Madness said...

Sounds good! And I'm a sucker for Jane Austen's retelling. Can't wait to read it. Great pick!
Em @ A Beautiful Madness
My WOW

October 24, 2012 at 4:53 PM  
Blogger Kara_Malinczak said...

Oh gosh! I have never read the original (yet) but this book looks like a ton of fun anyway! I need more fun contemporary YA in my life!

October 24, 2012 at 5:11 PM  
Blogger Christina said...

Haha, me too. My JA obsession is responsible for some of the worst reads of my life, but I will never stop reading them!

October 24, 2012 at 5:26 PM  
Blogger Christina said...

Oh geez, Mansfield Park is SO frustrating. People do awful things to Fanny and she just lets them. She's a good Christian girl and all that. And she marries her cousin. Eesh. I know it was okay back then, but still not cool.

I doubt that will happen in this one though. lol.

October 24, 2012 at 5:27 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Nice pick! Cute cover. Adding it to my reading list.

October 24, 2012 at 7:36 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Just finished reading an ARC of this one! It was really GOOD. The Fanny in this version IS different from the original. I think you'll be pleased:)

November 2, 2012 at 12:56 AM  

Post a Comment

Every comment is appreciated and I will almost always respond, because I love conversing about books!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home