<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://readeroffictions.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
A Reader of Fictions: Review: The Boy on the Bridge

A Reader of Fictions

Book Reviews for Just About Every Kind of Book

Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Review: The Boy on the Bridge

The Boy on the Bridge

Author: Natalie Standiford
Pages: 256
Publisher: Scholastic Press
Publication Date: July 30, 2013
Read: July 22-23, 2013
Source: Won from Lindsay Ribar - thanks Lindsay!!!

Description from Goodreads:
A new breathtaking novel from Natalie Standiford about love and trust during the Cold War.

Laura Reid goes to Leningrad for a semester abroad as Cold War paranoia is peaking in 1982. She meets a young Russian artist named Alexei and soon, with Alexei as her guide, Laura immerses herself in the real Russia--a crazy world of wild parties, black-market books and music, and smuggled letters to dissidents. She must keep the relationship secret; associating with Americans is dangerous for Alexei, and if caught, Laura could be sent home and Alexei put under surveillance or worse. At the same time, she's been warned that Soviets often latch onto Americans in hopes of marrying them and thus escaping to the United States. But she knows Alexei loves her. Right?

As June approaches--when Laura must return to the United States--Alexei asks Laura to marry him. She's only nineteen and doesn't think she's ready to settle down. But what if Alexei is the love of her life? How can she leave him behind? If she has a chance to change his life, to rescue him from misery, shouldn't she take it?


First Sentence: "Laura and her roommate Karen tramped along the frozen mud road that led through the university, past a wall with OGNEOPASNO! printed on it in huge red letters."

Review:
The Boy in the Bridge is one of those instances where the cover does not prepare you for the story within its pages. Sure, The Boy on the Bridge centers around a romance, but it's not the fluffy, cute read the cover suggests. Actually, The Boy on the Bridge is a story of a college student studying abroad in the Soviet Union, and discovering the hardships of life their, both physical and interpersonal.

The setting of The Boy on the Bridge made this a win for me, above and beyond the storytelling or the characters. Russian and Soviet history are among my fascinations, and The Boy on the Bridge takes place in an era with which I am less familiar. It's 1981, and the Soviet Union will continue to limp along for another ten years, and there's an air of desolation to Leningrad, which Standiford captures perfectly. Mistrust hangs in the air. Stalin may be long dead, but fear of being turned into the KGB for anti-Party activities is still rampant. The disparity between the quality of life for the American exchange students and regular citizens is shocking and sad; Laura and her fellow foreign students can obtain products Russians cannot. Basically, everything about the setting was well done, and such a nice break from all the books set in the US.

In one of my favorite novels and film adaptations, A Room with a View by E.M. Forster, there's a line about how Lucy was "transfigured by Italy," where she traveled with her cousin Charlotte on the sort of extended holiday wealthy Brits indulged in during the early twentieth century. In such a way was Laura transfigured by Russia. Like Lucy, falling in love with someone she wasn't meant to was a big part of the transformation, but so too was seeing a different way of life and learning about the tenuousness of life.

The Boy on the Bridge deals with a slightly older heroine, nineteen and a college student, but she's no less naive in romance. Her boyfriend of sorts back in the US is a cheater and a creep, based on the evidence of the letter he sent her, so it's initially exciting to see her move on with the Russian boy who drives overeager gypsies away. However, Laura becomes too enraptured with Alyosha, skipping glass and risking getting kicked out of the program to spend time with him. Normally, such a romance might bother me, but Standiford keeps the overall message one of caution and self-awareness.

Though the romance feels doomed, whether or not it actually is, there's a sense too that she needed this experience, more than she needed the classes at the university. From an intellectual standpoint, interacting with Alyosha and his friends dramatically improves her Russian. From an experiential standpoint, because she takes that risk, she actually gets to experience the Soviet Union. If she followed the rules, she might hardly have met any Russians or have seen anything aside from the scheduled school visits. Whatever may come of her time studying abroad, she'll never forget it and she'll never be the same.

The writing itself left me wanting a bit. Standiford uses close third person, which usually I don't mind, but for some reason I kept wanting The Boy on the Bridge to be in first person. Aside from that, the writing is decent but didn't stand out for me. I also wouldn't have said no to more banter.

Natalie Standiford's The Boy on the Bridge is a very quick read, and a must read if you're as intrigued by Russia as I am. Standiford depicts a realistic relationship built during the timeframe of a study abroad program, against the backdrop of the early 1980s in the Soviet Union.

Rating: 3.5/5

Favorite Quote:
"'Laura, this isn't love. Love lets you go on a trip without following you. Love can live without you for a week, knowing you'll come back.'
     'No, it can't.' The afternoon shadows grew long and cold. In spite of the chill, a heat rose up inside her and flooded her face. 'That's how you know it's true love. When he can't live without you.'
     Karen shook her head. 'That's how you know it's obsession. Or something else.'"

Labels: , , , , , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger fakesteph said...

I feel like the clothes are very modern on the cover... but maybe I'm wrong. I don't remember the 80s. :) I just saw another review of this, too. I'm not sure it's for me, but I've loved reading the reviews, because it seems like a really thought provoking book.

July 24, 2013 at 11:25 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

I just read another review of this. It sounds good, but I don't like being left wanting more. It sounds like it's a great book for the right people, and I don't think I am in that group.

July 24, 2013 at 12:17 PM  
Blogger Brandy said...

I didn't know about this book, but it sound interesting. Not one I would buy maybe, but that I will pick up if the library gets it.

July 24, 2013 at 1:44 PM  
Blogger Dana said...

I was looking forward to your review of this one since you featured it in your On My New Arrivals Shelf. Still not sure if it is for me or not though. The Russian setting makes it interesting but the 80s...not sure about that. Another great review...makes me want to read it.

July 25, 2013 at 11:16 AM  
Blogger kara-karina@Nocturnal Book Reviews said...

Haha, it will be interesting to read about the era when I was born, Christina, and compare how truthfully everything is portrayed. The clothes are definitely wrong though, they were much uglier, and is that a mini skirt? *shakes head* Loved your review, darling!

July 25, 2013 at 1:21 PM  
Blogger Christina said...

The clothes in the book itself are NOT like that. She's wearing layers upon layers upon layers the whole time. And jeans, I think. There are no miniskirts.

July 25, 2013 at 1:31 PM  
Blogger Aly said...

I think you're right about the setting being the best part about this book. It was the star of The Boy on the Bridge for me because I hated the romance, but I guess the heart wants what the heart wants.

July 25, 2013 at 7:27 PM  
Blogger April (BooksandWine) said...

I am down for third person, even though I think I like first person more.

ALSO.

Russia. I am all about YA not set in America.

And the transformative experiences. I am glad I have a netgalley copy of this.

July 28, 2013 at 4:09 PM  

Post a Comment

Every comment is appreciated and I will almost always respond, because I love conversing about books!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home