<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://readeroffictions.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
A Reader of Fictions: 15 Day Book Blogging Challenge, Day 6: Book Buying

A Reader of Fictions

Book Reviews for Just About Every Kind of Book

Friday, September 13, 2013

15 Day Book Blogging Challenge, Day 6: Book Buying

Okay, so I'm late boarding this train, but I want to be part of the fun too. I asked on Twitter for buddies, so that I wouldn't be alone in taking this epic journey. Thankfully, bloggers are awesome people, so I quickly found three friends to travel with me through the book blogger challenge: Lili of Lili's Reflections, Mickey of I'm a Book Shark and Jessie of Ageless Pages Reviews, so make sure you check out their responses too! We'll be doing one challenge a week every Friday for fifteen weeks. For more information on the challenge itself, go visit Good Books and Good Wine's explanation post here.


Today, April wants me to describe how I shop for books. There are essentially three different book shopping methods in my world (when I'm shopping for me).
  1. Poppin' Tags: I am ALL about used books. Do you have any idea how many unread books in beautiful condition go to the Goodwill? Bunches. This is where the bulk of my extensive library came from, and you can't beat the 2 dollar price tag. However, I have so much now that it's hard to find much I'm interested in anymore, so I do less of this than I used to.
  2. The Amazon Shuffle: Oh hey, I want this hardback that's coming out like fire, so to Amazon I will go. Yes, it's an evil corporation, but where else will I get a new hardback for ten dollars? Nowhere. In case you couldn't tell from the first answer, I am cheap.
  3. Rocking it Indie Style: If I buy books from a brick and mortar bookstore, then I buy paperbacks, usually for events. My favorite store to give my money to is Little Shop of Stories, which is the best bookstore ever. Rarely do I buy a hardback because I actually prefer trade paperbacks and list price for them is just ridiculous. Again, cheap.
So that's it. I am money-grubbing.

How about you guys? Where are your favorite places to buy books?

Labels:

12 Comments:

Blogger Katie said...

I'm the same about paperback/hardback. If I'm actually going to buy a hardback, it's most likely going to be from Amazon. Unless the bookstore is running some kind of mega sale. (Which does happen. VERY rarely. That's how I got a hardback of SHATTER ME by Tahereh Mafi.)

And if I go indie, I like to buy from Little Shop, as well. It really is the best children's bookstore. Like ever. :)

September 13, 2013 at 6:58 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I have this awesome used bookstore that I get all my books at (unless I get a kindle book from Amazon). Paperbacks are $1.99 and Hardbacks are $2.99 but one day out of every month they have a free book day where you can go in and pick out any book free AND one Sunday a month they have a warehouse sale and you can fill an entire bag full of books for $5. It's amazing. :)

September 13, 2013 at 11:39 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

I totally agree with you on Amazon. I do like to support my local indies, but if I can get a shiny new Hardcover for like $10 or $11 instead of $18+ I'm going to. I have no job and hubs doesn't give me much book money, so I don't tend to spend a lot on books if I don't have to. I do love going to book signings though and I don't mind paying full retail if I am getting the book signed by the author.

As much as I love physical books, I find myself buying more and more for my kindle or nook though. Especially when there are great sales for $1.99 or $2.99. I mean, of course I will pay that over $10+ dollars!

September 13, 2013 at 12:10 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I grumble a lot about Amazon, but I do use them occasionally, because they are cheap, and well, so am I! I love indie stores, but we don't have any here. There's a wonderful used bookstore about 2 hours away that I go to every so often. :D

Molli | Once Upon a Prologue

September 13, 2013 at 1:50 PM  
Blogger Lyn Kaye said...

I am ALL about used books. --> Same here. If I love the author, I try to buy a Kindle book or a paperback straight from BAM or B&N, but I just can't afford all of my books in a new condition. It also helps that I am nestled 30 minutes from two awesome used book stores.

September 15, 2013 at 11:44 PM  
Blogger Christina said...

Oh man, I have never encountered a bookstore mega sale, except when Borders went out of business, and that wasn't as good as I was hoping tbh.

And, yes, I try to buy a book from Little Shop every time I go, just because I love it so much.

September 16, 2013 at 9:30 AM  
Blogger meg said...

Where do I not buy books from is probably an easier question to answer. If I've gotta have it right away, Amazon (sorry Indiebound but I can get 'em for $10 with free 2-day shipping), local bookstores (or B&N if I'm driving by), thrift stores, garage sales, library sales, etc. If you will take my money and give me a book for it, I am a happy camper.

September 16, 2013 at 9:35 AM  
Blogger Christina said...

That sounds AMAZING. I WANT TO GO TO THERE.

September 16, 2013 at 9:49 AM  
Blogger Christina said...

I can have so many more books if I pay Amazon prices! Ugh, I buy paperbacks at book signings except in rare circumstances. The prices are just too absurd. You are a better person.

Oh, I hate ebooks, but they are much cheaper if they feel like real books to you.

September 16, 2013 at 9:57 AM  
Blogger Christina said...

NO INDIE STORES? That is sad. :( We have a bunch. But Atlanta is a big city. 2 HOURS. You must live in the middle of nowhere.

September 16, 2013 at 10:22 AM  
Blogger Christina said...

Nope, that's just way too much money. Oh, used book stores. Also, I'm SUPER particular about which ones I will pay full price for, whereas at a used bookstore, I'll buy whatever.

September 16, 2013 at 10:30 AM  
Blogger Christina said...

True, I've bought them from all over. ALL AROUND THE WORLD. I even have one from Vietnam, which, by the way, does not look very legit.

September 16, 2013 at 10:39 AM  

Post a Comment

Every comment is appreciated and I will almost always respond, because I love conversing about books!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home