<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://readeroffictions.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
A Reader of Fictions: Set Free - Katie Gray

A Reader of Fictions

Book Reviews for Just About Every Kind of Book

Friday, August 27, 2010

Set Free - Katie Gray

Mockingjay
The Hunger Games, Book 3

Author: Suzanne Collins
Genre: dystopia, fantasy, young adult
Pages: 390

I will not endeavor to sum up Mockingjay, which I finished less than a minute ago (the tears still stain my cheeks). Books do not often make me cry, but this one definitely did. It almost did innumerable times, but in the end it got me. I will not add my opinion on the book to the internet; I just want to say that I felt heartbroken the entire time I was reading it. This series makes you feel.

Rather than saying anything else myself, I will conclude with the lyrics to a song I do not know particularly well, which came on while I was reading the book and struck a particularly fitting chord:


"There's a cold fire
There's a crossfire
And there's something
Inside, inside

And we'll never, never
Make it
And we'll never, never
Break it

Until, until

There's a long game
That's a wrong chain
And it's something
We all hide it
Inside

And we'll never, never make it
And we'll never, never break it
Until we learn to see
Until we set free

And you got style
And you got grace
And you got the means
To leave that place
But you'll never, never make it
And you'll never, never break it

Until you learn to see
Until you set free

So set free
Set free

Set free
Set free

De de dum de de de
De de dum de de de

Free, oh
Set free

If we could see that this was all that we need
Inside our minds
Bodies and souls
We wouldn't run and we would let go
Cause we'd realize
That we had
That we had no control"

Labels: , , ,

13 Comments:

Blogger Diana_Dimovska said...

Amazing book! Lots of tears shed here, too... At least it was a somewhat happy ending... :) As for the song above... sent shivers down my spine...

Best regards, Diana

March 19, 2012 at 7:14 PM  
Blogger Gaby said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

March 25, 2012 at 4:59 PM  
Blogger Veronika said...

I'm reading this book now! It's fantastic! Absolutely stunning! I loved the first two books as well. Still don't know what will happen at the end of the book, but soon I'll figure out :)

March 28, 2012 at 4:10 AM  
Blogger Owl In A Cloak said...

I was very disappointed by the end of the book. Was depressed all day!

April 5, 2012 at 11:00 AM  
Blogger Christina said...

To be fair, I think she probably wanted you to be depressed all day. Yeah, I'm of two minds about Mockingjay. I think I'll have to reread the whole trilogy before I can firmly declare my opinions of it.

April 5, 2012 at 11:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I didn't really like Mockingjay that much; like Owl In A Cloak, I found the ending very disappointing. I felt like Suzanne Collins had rushed the ending somehow; it didn't have a satisfying finish and when I finished the book it still felt somewhat incomplete.

April 14, 2012 at 2:00 AM  
Blogger Sarah Elizabeth said...

Love the song, it's very fitting.
I didn't like mockingjay quite as much as the other two hunger games books, but i think it was purely because mockingjay is actually very different to the other two books.
While HG and CF were ultimately about love and survival, I felt that KJ was very much about war, and had a very different feel to it. I have to say that I was a bit depressed by the end too :(

May 15, 2012 at 8:43 AM  
Blogger Christina said...

I'm pretty sure she WANTED you to be depressed at the ending. On one level, that's something I really appreciate. I mean, most of my least favorite dystopias are the ones where the author is afraid to do really cruel things to their characters. If life isn't awful, if people are dying, it's general not going to feel that bad.

Honestly, the way she set things up, that was as happy as things could possibly be. Peeta was incredibly emotionally scarred, and, really, it's a bit of a miracle they were able to be that level of happy.

The part that I had an issue with was Prim. I just did not get that.

May 15, 2012 at 8:46 AM  
Blogger Aline Tobing said...

Feeling somewhat depressed after finishing this one. I mean, I'm glad Peeta & Katniss are finally together but what a cost! I'm so sad for Prim :(

May 25, 2012 at 12:18 AM  
Blogger Christina said...

Definitely leave Mockingjay feeling depressed. It's both a strength and a weakness, I think. I mean, we want them to be happy, or at least happier. But, at the same time, this fractured future is perhaps more believable? I don't know.

May 25, 2012 at 12:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

like mockingjay cryed for prim

June 23, 2012 at 6:47 PM  
Blogger Bea Tejano said...

As much as I love Suzanne Collins, Mockingjay felt rushed to me. Probably because I felt that there needed to be more! I loved it though, I just wish that she made it a bit lengthier

December 31, 2012 at 11:30 PM  
Blogger Meg said...

Felt the same way at the end of Mockingjay ... heartbroken. Definitely my favorite out of the series.

February 11, 2013 at 1:05 PM  

Post a Comment

Every comment is appreciated and I will almost always respond, because I love conversing about books!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home