<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://readeroffictions.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
A Reader of Fictions: Heat Wave - Martha Reeves and the Vandellas

A Reader of Fictions

Book Reviews for Just About Every Kind of Book

Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Heat Wave - Martha Reeves and the Vandellas

The Scorch Trials
The Maze Runner, Book 2

Author: James Dashner
Genre: dystopia, young adult
Pages: 360

Brief Summary:
The Gladers are back and they're really happy to be done with the whole maze business. They think life will be better...for about five seconds. Then there are dead bodies and Theresa's gone and there are cranks outside the barred windows (Cranks rather resemble zombies, so not a good wake up call). Then they receive some news: they all have the flare (a disease that turns you into a crank) and they have a new challenge to complete if they want the cure. Adventure, violence, betrayal and some romantic drama (although not much).

Review:
I read the first book in this series, The Maze Runner, before I started blogging, so I cannot link to a review of it. So to sum up my feelings about book one now: I read it on high recommendation and as part of my dystopia obsession and was largely disappointed. While it is decent, it's not amazing and the lack of information given to the reader about the actual world outside the test makes it hard to know whether Dashner has a neat, unique apocalyptic view of the future or not. The book basically left me kind of lukewarm.

Book two very much follows in the tradition of book one, so I have little to add. The characters did not become any more dear to my heart in this book; in fact, I like most of them quite a bit less. Thomas spends a lot of time being emo because Teresa won't talk to him anymore; then, once she does, he's emo because she doesn't like him and he doesn't like her as much anymore either. That gets a bit trying. And, as much as I generally like for there to be a little romance in my fiction, I really could have done without it here.

If you thought escaping the maze meant that you, the reader, would finally get to find out what is going on in the real world in this dystopia, you are going to be seriously disappointed. I had a feeling that would be the case, what with the title including the word 'trials,' which would tend to indicate that this would be another test. Still, I find myself somewhat annoyed at the fact that there is little to no added to what had been learned in
The Maze Runner. I realize this is intentional and it leaves the reader feeling much like the kids in the trials: frustrated. And, although I dislike this gambit, I must admit that it works, as I do intend to keep reading the books to find out what's happening.

If you liked The Maze Runner, read this with dispatch, because you'll love it. If you just want to know what the heck is happening in this dystopian world, then you could, if you want to, read a summary of the plot and wait for a book where the kids do something real. If you didn't like The Maze Runner, you won't like this one any better.

"Stop this - it's got a hold on me
I said this ain't the way it's supposed to be

It's like a heat wave burning in my heart
I can't keep from crying
Tearing me apart"

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Every comment is appreciated and I will almost always respond, because I love conversing about books!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home