<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://readeroffictions.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
A Reader of Fictions: I Hate Everyone - Get Set Go

A Reader of Fictions

Book Reviews for Just About Every Kind of Book

Thursday, December 16, 2010

I Hate Everyone - Get Set Go

Life, the Universe and Everything
Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, Book 3

Author: Douglas Adams
Genre: science fiction, humor
Pages: 240

Douglas Adams is an example of someone who achieved something so wholly awesome with The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy that its really hard for anything he does afterward to be quite as good. The second book was not too bad, but I must pronounce myself quite disappointed in the third installment. While it still had some of the characteristic humor, which makes Douglas Adams so fabulous, the really good jokes were a bit further and farther between.

The plot, such as there was, seemed incredibly slapdash and weak. And often didn't make sense, even unto itself. I kept having to force myself not to skim read, as many of the sections were so boredom-inducing as to make this tempting. How sad is that? Many of the chapters seemed not to connect to the main plot at all. The last chapter especially.

Nevertheless, this book does have a really great line, one that I stumbled across years ago in my search for wonderful quotes: "He hoped and prayed that there wasn't an afterlife. Then he realized there was a contradiction involved here and merely hoped that there wasn't an afterlife." That quote is made of so much win. Also delightful are a couple of recurring gags, like Arthur's mysteriously misappearing and reappearing bags. Or his unintentional repeated murders of one reincarnated soul. Or his courageous defeat of Thor. Seriously, the god Thor. Way to go, Arthur.

To conclude, lyrics from the title song, in honor of that spiteful immortal with nothing better to do than insult folk.

"All the people on the street, I hate you all
And the people that I meet, I hate you all
And the people that I know, I hate you all
And the people that I don't, I hate you all
Oh, I hate you all"

Labels: , , ,

6 Comments:

Anonymous Christina Kit. said...

I haven't read anything by Adams because I'm not such a huge sci-fi fan - too bad you didn't like this one:(

April 2, 2012 at 6:46 PM  
Blogger Christina said...

Don't let that stop you from Hitchhiker's Guide if you do go for sci fi at some point. It's one of my very favorite books ever!

April 2, 2012 at 6:50 PM  
Blogger Sarah Elizabeth said...

I had the hitchiker's 'trilogy in five parts' book bought for me for my birthday about 14 years ago and I still haven't finished it!
I think the problem is like you were saying - it starts to get a bit boring in places. I'm nit sure which book it's from but my favourite gag is this one:
Gods final message to his creation, in 50 foot high, flaming letters - 'Sorry for the Inconvenience'
Love it!

May 13, 2012 at 4:34 AM  
Blogger Dovile said...

I've read only Hitchhiker's Guide, and I didn't like it much. Maybe I didn't get the humor, but it wasn't funny to me. It seems from your review that Life and Everything is similar.

May 24, 2012 at 1:44 AM  
Blogger Christina said...

I have that same edition, I think. I'm trying to get through it, but it's been going pretty steadily downhill. :(

I do like that gag!

May 24, 2012 at 11:02 AM  
Blogger Christina said...

Well, I actually loved Hitchhiker's Guide. That type of humor definitely appeals to me, but I don't think Adams was able to sustain it through the series.

No judgment though because there are so many things other people think are hilarious that just don't tickle my funny bone. Ex. Family Guy, South Park.

May 24, 2012 at 11:03 AM  

Post a Comment

Every comment is appreciated and I will almost always respond, because I love conversing about books!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home