<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://readeroffictions.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
A Reader of Fictions: Those to Come - The Shins

A Reader of Fictions

Book Reviews for Just About Every Kind of Book

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Those to Come - The Shins

The Gathering
Darkness Rising, Book 1

Author: Kelley Armstrong
Pages: 359
Publisher: Harper
Review Copy Acquired From: A friend gave this to me and I do not know where he got it.

Brief Summary:
A year ago, Maya's best friend, Serena, died, drowning in a lake she had been swimming in for most of her life. Maya has trouble accepting that Serena simply drowned, what with her being the best swimmer on the school team. Still, Maya cannot do anything to prove that and is trying to get on with her life. She still has her other best friend, and Serena's boyfriend, Daniel by her side. He can be a bit overprotective, like when the new school hottie and bad boy is hitting on Maya, but his heart is clearly in the right place. Will she give in and date the persistent bad boy, Rafe? Will she turn to the best friend? Does her paw print birthmark mean anything or is it just a neat mark?

Review:
Last year, I read and really enjoyed Armstrong's teen series that begins with The Summoning. Later, I tried her Women of the Otherworld series and was not impressed, but I am planning to at least start book two before giving up on her adult fiction entirely. This new series is set in the same world as the previous, but does not have too much crossover, at least not that I've noticed (and my memory's not great, so I might have missed something). Davidoff is the only character name I recognized from before.

The plot holds few surprises, and those, generally, were not the big ones. Her relationship choices were inevitable, and future relationship drama is emerging along clearly defined lines. The emergence of the fantasy elements of the story was wholly expected as well. If you like to be completely caught off guard by your book, then Armstrong might not be for you. Remember that Armstrong has a strong basis in paranormal romance, so there are certain elements that are just going to happen a particular way.

That does not change the fact that her YA novels are compulsively readable. They go down quick and easy, and leave you wanting more. Her romances, if the previous series is something I can go by, are very cute, take a long time to come to fruition and may involve some missteps along the way (like dating the wrong guy and then realizing your feelings lie elsewhere). Although it would be repetitive, I hope for the latter yet again, as Rafe's little bad guy routine did nothing to make me like him. Bad boys are good only in certain circumstances, as better detailed in my previous post. I am fully rooting for Daniel. Normally, I would not ship her with the best friend, but I really liked him for some reason and think he has some awesomeness hiding beneath the surface.

If you're looking for something fun to read this spring/summer, you can't go wrong with The Gathering. For another review, check out Nori's Closet.

"Quaking leaves and broken light
Shifting skin
The coming night"

Labels: , , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Nori said...

I love that we read a lot of the same books! And you totally seemed to like this one more than I thought you would. By the way I went and read Aurelia after you blogged about, and I really enjoyed it!

April 22, 2011 at 9:52 PM  
Blogger Christina said...

This book had some problems, but for what it is, it's good. Plus, Armstrong just makes you want to keep reading. It's like candy.

April 23, 2011 at 12:46 AM  
Blogger Nori said...

Agreed!

April 24, 2011 at 2:02 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

The Gathering wasn't nearly as good as The Summoning, but it definitely made me want more! My favorite reference to the former trilogy was the reference to Liz. Also, agreed re: Rafe; he does absolutely nothing for me, ESPECIALLY after we got Derek (SO MUCH <3 FOR DEREK). I'm not that keen on Daniel as a love interest, either, though.
Personally, I'd like to know more about Sam.

April 27, 2011 at 4:30 PM  
Blogger Christina said...

Sam as a love interest or in general or both?

April 27, 2011 at 4:33 PM  
Blogger Gaby said...

I love this series but my favorite is the last book in the trilogy

March 27, 2012 at 4:36 PM  
Blogger ZaraAlexis said...

I wasn't really familiar with Kelley Armstrong and then I picked up this book and read and reviewed it, too! You're so right when you say it's so easy and readable. That's exactly what I loved about it. I like Daniel, too, but there's something about him as well that's mysterious. I would like to see how her relationship develops with Rafe. I;m still waiting to read "The Calling."

May 28, 2012 at 11:28 AM  
Blogger Christina said...

Yeah, I wasn't set on a particular part of the love triangle, either, although I really want to learn more about Daniel. And Rafe. Haha.

May 30, 2012 at 11:47 AM  

Post a Comment

Every comment is appreciated and I will almost always respond, because I love conversing about books!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home