<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://readeroffictions.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
A Reader of Fictions: Standing from Once More, with Feeling

A Reader of Fictions

Book Reviews for Just About Every Kind of Book

Sunday, June 5, 2011

Standing from Once More, with Feeling

Buffy Season 8, Volume 6:
Retreat


Author: Jane Espenson
Illustrator: Georges Jeanty
Acquired From: Dark Horse Books via NetGalley

Brief Summary:
It's time for a showdown with Twilight, although likely not the last one, given that two volumes remain. Twilight has been tracking the slayers' every move, no matter what precautions they put in place. They finally figure out how: their magic. So, off they venture to Oz in Tibet where they learn how to get rid of their magic, but hopes of living a normal life may just be dashed when the bad guys, armed with lots o' stuff find them.

Review:
First of all, let me just say something I've been meaning to since the first volume, but have perpetually forgotten to. I love that the opposing force is called Twilight. I like to imagine that they underneath the suit, the mystery man is a sparkly vampire. I know he's not, but it makes me giggle to think that this is some sort of commentary on the vampire legend of Meyer.

On to more pertinent and analytical comments. This volume is pretty intense. There's a lot of battling, a lot of tension and some bad choices made. Getting rid of their powers seems pretty stupid to me. I see why they're doing it, but what do they really think will happen next? I mean, okay, the slayers are normal girls again and can't be tracked, if they were to get luckier than they did. Then what? There are all of these extra demons running around, there to balance out the slayers. Do they just get to eat everyone?

Slayers with guns as a regular army, kinda funny, but definitely makes me glad that's not what the story was. I mean, there goes the whole point. Ah well. This volume makes me suspect Whedon's trying to tie the series up after the end of the last volume.

To conclude, some questions and frustrations: What happened to Oz? Why's he weird now? Ack, baby! What are you thinking, Xander? I know you only have one eye, but this is a bad idea. Bad Xander.

"You're not ready
For the world outside
You keep pretending,
But you just can't hide"

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Every comment is appreciated and I will almost always respond, because I love conversing about books!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home