<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://readeroffictions.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
A Reader of Fictions: Special - Better Than Ezra

A Reader of Fictions

Book Reviews for Just About Every Kind of Book

Thursday, September 8, 2011

Special - Better Than Ezra

Supernaturally
Paranormalcy, Book 2

Author: Kiersten White
Pages: 352
Publisher: HarperTeen

Brief Summary:
Evie's back, armed with Tasey (well, only sometimes, what with going to a real high school with lockers and all) and loving her boyfriend Lend. Unfortunately, Lend is off at Georgetown, where Evie desperately wants to go, meaning she only gets to see him on weekends. High school isn't as fun as she thought. Nor is her job at the diner, for which she has to wear a cow patterned skirt. Yeah. Even worse, there's something weird happening in town; a lot of unfamiliar paranormals have been showing up and they seem really interested in Evie.

Review:
Supernaturally definitely fulfilled expectations as a sequel to Paranormalcy. Like its predecessor, it is silly, funny and enjoyable. White does something that too few other paranormal romance teen authors are afraid or unwilling to do: laughs at the whole thing. She doesn't take all of the drama too seriously most of the time. Evie laughs at some conventions, but is laughable herself, as well, which I believe is intended.

The drama is still totally present, though, in the form of Evie deciding to endanger her healthy relationship in classic style by not telling the truth/keeping secrets from her true love. Oops. Let me give you all some love advice: be honest. People don't like being lied to, especially if they expect you to trust them. The fun of the novel outweighed this needless drama for me, thankfully.

A new character is added, in the form of Jack, a cherubic boy, a year or so younger than Evie. Jack can open gates and navigate the faerie paths, because he was kidnapped and raised by the fey. As you might have guessed, he's a little bit crazy. I am not a fan of Jack; he's just too strange to be likable. Even though I tend to want to ship an underdog character with the heroine (if only to subvert expectations), I just could not warm to this guy.

We get some more explanations of how the paranormals came about in this one, too, which is both cool and a bit confusing. For example, there was one creature created by a male fairy impregnating a human woman. Wouldn't there be more of these creatures around? This doesn't sound like a difficult thing to have happen. Do the fairies have trouble reproducing? (I wonder this same thing every time I read LOTR...haha)

I still recommend this series to people who like a humorous, light read. It's perfect for vacation, the beach or a break from heavy study materials. Also, I love that it looks like they may have used the same model on both covers. I hate when it's obviously the heroine on multiple covers in a series but she looks wildly different every time.

"I was pulling far away.
You were begging me to stay.
And I thought I was losing you.
Funny, how the opposite was true."

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Every comment is appreciated and I will almost always respond, because I love conversing about books!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home