<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://readeroffictions.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
A Reader of Fictions: A Case of You - Tori Amos

A Reader of Fictions

Book Reviews for Just About Every Kind of Book

Thursday, January 19, 2012

A Case of You - Tori Amos

Tantalize
Tantalize, Book 1

Author: Cynthia Leitich Smith
Pages: 336
Publisher: Candlewick

Brief Summary:
Quincie's parents died and left her the family restaurant Fat Alberto's. The restaurant did okay for a while, but when a rival Italian place opened up nearby and they started losing all their customers but the regulars, her uncle, who's managing the place until she's 21, decides they need a gimmick to get people in. He chooses vampires, even though there hasn't been a definite vampire sighting in years. They're real but still more of a joke than anything else. While the preparations for reopening are still being completed, the chef is murdered. The suspect is her best friend, Kieren, who happens to be a werewolf (well, half of one anyway). The new chef is a bit weird and she only has a brief time to make him look like a proper vampire.

Review:
To get ready for Diabolical, I'm going through this series again. Actually, I've only read the first two. When I read Tantalize several years ago, I thought it was completely hilarious. I enjoyed all of the puns and silly things, like the various kinds of weres (were-armadillo, ha!). At that time, I did think the ending was pretty lame and awful.

Ironically, I'm now kind of going the other way. Whereas before I noticed the silly, light humor, the puns and such things, I now focus on the darkness and violence that I guess didn't bother me before. From my research this is the beginning of Cynthia Leitich Smith's gothic series, and I suppose I can see why. There are monsters lurking under the skin of just about everyone. Of course, the bit of humor on the top does help.

Quincie, aka Quince, does not make a great main character. She's kind of a dope and she does not trust her best friend nearly enough. She is easily swayed by arguments and does not think to do any research on her own. Also, I could definitely have done with a few less mentions of her beige thong; I get it already. On a side note, if my parents named me Quincie, I would be so pissed. Pretty much the only thing consistent from my first read is that I still think Kieren's the best character.

Ultimately, I was a little less into the book on this read-through, but I am still curious to find out what will happen in the later volumes. Although not perfect, Cynthia Leitich Smith does seem to be setting up an interesting world here.

Rating: 2.5/5

"In my blood like holy wine
You taste so bitter and so sweet
Well, I could drink a case of you, darling"

Labels: , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Nori said...

I remember loving this one back in the day...But I think Abby read it in Pittsburgh and told me she hated it...or maybe I'm making that up, but someone definitely hated it. Maybe I need to re-read it too.

January 20, 2012 at 6:44 PM  
Blogger Christina said...

That was definitely Abby. I felt bad for recommending it. I just reviewed the second one. I'm going through all of them so I can read Diabolical from NetGalley.

January 20, 2012 at 8:13 PM  

Post a Comment

Every comment is appreciated and I will almost always respond, because I love conversing about books!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home