<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://readeroffictions.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
A Reader of Fictions: Top Ten New-to-Me Authors of 2012

A Reader of Fictions

Book Reviews for Just About Every Kind of Book

Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Top Ten New-to-Me Authors of 2012

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.
Okay, so I'm not sure if I'm supposed to, but I've defined this as authors who had at least one book out before 2012, who I only just discovered this year. Thus no debuts, even though I did find them last year.

1. Anna Jarzab - Unlike most of the other authors on this list, I hadn't even heard of Anna Jarzab until over half way into this year. Katie of Blook Girl wrote a rave review, and I added it to my list, since she and I tend to agree. Then I had the chance for a review copy of it, so I jumped at the chance. I loved The Opposite of Hallelujah. Her forthcoming book sounds amazing, and I've for her debut on my list too.

2. N. K. Jemisin - Oh look! I put one author on my list that's not YA. Represent! Thanks to the wonderful people at Orbit, I've been expanding my knowledge of epic fantasy, and Jemisin is a freaking queen. She has crazy world building, beautiful writing and can write one hell of a swoony scene to top it all off. The Killing Moon and The Shadowed Sun have totally stuck with me, and I'm glad I have another series to keep me busy until she publishes something else.

3. Miranda Kenneally - Her book Catching Jordan came out at the very tail end of 2011, but I'm counting it, because I read both Catching Jordan and Stealing Parker, as well as Dear Teen Me which she edited, in the last couple of months. She writes male/female friendships better than any author I can think of. Some of them become love, but some remain utterly platonic, which I really love. So excited for Things I Can't Forget!

4. Jessi Kirby - Last week, I read my first Jessi Kirby novel, her debut Moonglass. I loved her writing and the uniqueness of the story. She also manages to bridge the gap between light and dark contemporary the way Sarah Dessen (who blurbed her book) does. Now to get my hands on Golden.

5. E. Lockhart - I actually just finished my first E. Lockhart book this very evening. She's funny, she's open about teen sexuality, and she's definitely a little bit crazy. What's not to like? The Boyfriend List was highly entertaining and I'm working on The Boy Book right now.

6. Jackson Pearce - Actually, Pearce has been on my radar freaking forever, because she has two of my favorite covers ever (Sisters Red and Sweetly, which have since been cover raped into mediocrity by a redesign). When I realized she lived in Atlanta, I went to the release party for Purity, and got serious about reading one of her books, because I didn't want to buy a copy if I was going to hate her writing. Well, I really liked Sisters Red, so no worries there. Scarlett is the biggest badass.

7. Courtney Summers - Were it not for Courtney Summers' foray into the zombie novel, I don't know whether I would have gotten quite so interested in contemporary young adult fiction. Her books had no appeal for me whatsoever until my mind was blown to pieces by This Is Not a Test, so much so in fact that my review is utter crap, because it's hard to write with your mind splashed all over. Thank you, Courtney, for being a talented writer and teaching me how much I delight in dark tales.

8. Robin Wasserman - Before I read The Book of Blood and Shadow, I didn't really take Wasserman seriously. Her covers were ridiculous, and I assumed that Skinned would be one of those lame dystopias. Now, I'm so eager to read it, because TBOBAS was creepy as all hell, must have taken tons of research, and was beautifully written. Yet another author trying to teach me not to judge books off covers, but I can tell you right now that it's not going to work.

9. Laura Wiess - Another author for contemporaries. Basically, I mostly found contemporary authors this year, because this is where I really branched out. Ordinary Beauty was dark, creepy, and not something I would have picked on my own. We read this for book club, and I was impressed. I hear her other books are even better, so I'm going to need to read those ASAP.

10. Moira Young - Any author that can get me to read dialect and like it is a genius. That is really all I have to say about Moira Young's Blood Red Road.

Labels:

16 Comments:

Blogger Bekka said...

I really love Laura Weiss. I've only read Leftovers, but jesus, it was fantastic. It's actually written in second person, which was really interesting for me.

December 11, 2012 at 12:12 PM  
Blogger Amber said...

I haven't actually read Summers' zombie book but I did read Cracked Up to Be and it was incredible. She is such a talented author. Great list! I hope to add Wasserman, Pearce and Kenneally to my list next year!

My Top Ten

December 11, 2012 at 1:06 PM  
Blogger Estelle said...

What a fantastic list! Miranda is definitely an awesome pick and I also discovered Courtney Summers this year.

I haven't heard a ton of buzz for the Opposite of Hallelujah, but I keep seeing it in the bookstores. I think I'm going to have to give that book a shot because when I do see something, it's very positive.

Great list!

December 11, 2012 at 2:32 PM  
Blogger Kat said...

*Covers up embarrassment* - I haven't even heard of some of these authors - bad Kat.

However, there is a positive, in that I'm definitely going to give The Opposite of Hallelujah a whirl!

Great list my dear!

December 11, 2012 at 2:57 PM  
Blogger Kara_Malinczak said...

I failed so hard on my list. I missed Miranda Kenneally too. And I missed some others that I saw on other blogs.

SO glad you've finally read E. Lockhart!

December 12, 2012 at 12:11 AM  
Blogger Katie said...

I'm so behind on Jackson Pearce books! I have three of them sitting on my shelf, two of them signed. Her fairy tale series seems so cool, I just need to dive in!

December 12, 2012 at 11:12 AM  
Blogger Blythe Harris said...

Wow, it looks like I'm incredibly behind on awesome authors, because the only author on this list I've ever read is Courtney Summers. But, if I were to make a TT list for this, Courtney Summers would definitely be on it. This is Not a Test was just complete and utter perfection and I still think about it to this day, months and months after finishing it. I'm thinking of rereading it sometime in early 2013. I've also heard awesome things about Jackson Pearce's series (love fairytale retellings, so I should really get to that soon), and have also heard great things about Wasserman's The Book of Blood and Shadow and Young's Blood Red Road, and I'm pretty sure I have a copy of both (and I think TBOBAS is an ARC.)

December 12, 2012 at 6:32 PM  
Blogger Angela @ Reading Angels said...

I had to come see the craziness of us sharing an author for myself.
I have not read any of the others, although I have books by several of them.

December 13, 2012 at 7:49 AM  
Blogger Christina said...

I want to read ALL of her stuff. That sounds odd, but I want to see how it works!

December 17, 2012 at 11:38 AM  
Blogger Christina said...

YAY! Her zombie book rocks hardcore!

You should!

December 17, 2012 at 11:39 AM  
Blogger Christina said...

YAY for Courtney Summers!

Yes, The Opposite of Hallelujah was great, so I hope you do!

December 17, 2012 at 11:43 AM  
Blogger Christina said...

WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN?

lol. just kidding. I love you still.

I hope you love it!

December 17, 2012 at 11:44 AM  
Blogger Christina said...

Oops!

Yes, me too! She's fantastic!

December 17, 2012 at 11:45 AM  
Blogger Christina said...

I'm four books behind, all signed. That rhymes. Holla!

December 17, 2012 at 11:45 AM  
Blogger Christina said...

Well, there are worse things to be!

TINAT was amazing. I woefully underrated at the time, because I was still too emotional, but that one stuck with me, just like it did with you.

Sisters Red was just as dark and properly fairy tale-ish as I hoped.

TBOBAS is a hilarious acronym.

December 17, 2012 at 11:47 AM  
Blogger Christina said...

IT HAPPENED.

December 17, 2012 at 11:47 AM  

Post a Comment

Every comment is appreciated and I will almost always respond, because I love conversing about books!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home