<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://readeroffictions.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
A Reader of Fictions: What I've Been Watching

A Reader of Fictions

Book Reviews for Just About Every Kind of Book

Wednesday, January 9, 2013

What I've Been Watching

One of my very best friends is moving away from Atlanta back to the frozen north, and, before she left, we had a movie marathon, consisting of four films, and then I watched one more when I got home that night. I'm thinking that since I'll be watching a lot more movies and television shows, I would occasionally post little roundups of what I've been watching.

I think most people will agree with me that this is a classic in its own special, not that old sort of way. I rewatch this probably every year, because it's just so much fun. The whole Bollywood/Hollywood mashup thing really works for me, and I really wish there were more movies like this. Honestly, I can never decide how I feel about the romance. I really wish I knew how old Joe is. Also, his behavior at the end when he's playing cricket with her dad is so preppy and gross.

Drinking Game: Drink every time Jonathan Rhys Meyers looks more attractive than he does creepy.


Obviously, I love teen comedies. Sure, they're utterly predictable and everything, but they can be so funny. In John Tucker Must Die, three girls discover they've been dating the same guy and bring the new girl into a scheme to make him pay. They essentially do a She's All That on her, only with an endgame of breaking his heart. The movie is hilarious and all around surprisingly good, playing up stereotypes only to show that everyone has depths.

Drinking Game: Drink every time Kate is lacking in self-esteem.


Y'all, I know it's not cool to like the movie adaptation more than the book, but this is one instance where I super do. I love Meg Cabot, but her Princess Diaries books disappoint me. The movie has all of the charm, but makes awesome improvements, like replacing a chain-smoking, bitchy grandmother with a Julie Andrews grandmother. FOR THE WIN. Also, the guy from Rooney makes the perfect Michael, and Anne Hathaway is the cutest.

Drinking Game: Drink every time Mia does something clumsy or embarassing.


I could never tell you my favorite book, but this, right here, is my favorite movie. I just LOVE every bit of it, and, while I know it wouldn't work for everyone, it gets me every time. The book's wonderful too, but I like it filmed even more. Also, you get to see Helena Bonham Carter as a baby! She's so freaking young in this movie. Other stellar cast members: Maggie Smith, Judi Dench and Daniel Day Lewis.

Drinking Game: Drink every time Charlotte complains about something.


The relationship dynamics in A Room with a View, not realizing for so long what the heroine is looking for in a guy, got me thinking about this movie, so I went home and watched it. On a lot of levels, this is a really strange movie, and one I suspect a lot of people would not appreciate at all. However, this totally lived up to the rewatch, and I still find it powerful, even if the ending gets a bit cheesier than I would have liked. So what happens is that Lucy goes on a bunch of blind dates, and the movie skips from date to date, alternating through them. They all go really differently, and I like that she learns something from each and that things don't always go as she'd expected at the beginning. There are some clever interconnections, like the spilling of drinks. This could have been better, but I really like it.

Drinking Game: Drink whenever one of the guys acts like an asshole.

Literally the ONLY gif of this film. It's like the internet
is sticking it's tongue out at me.

Labels: ,

12 Comments:

Blogger Kat said...

Ah there's nothing better than a good movie marathon! I think Bend it Like Beckham is a great movie - I love the fact that it has *gasp* girls playing sport!

January 9, 2013 at 12:56 PM  
Blogger Christina said...

I love that you say sport like the Brits do! teehee!

Such a great movie! I've seen it umpteen times and still love it like new.

January 9, 2013 at 1:48 PM  
Blogger Steena said...

Are you sure that last gif isn't the collective internet wishing David Boreanaz would eat them out?

January 9, 2013 at 1:55 PM  
Blogger Christina said...

Ewwwwwwww

*goes to wash mental image out of brain*

It's from the movie, though I didn't notice him doing that, because I really do not find him attractive. I know it's the movie bc of his stupid hair in it.

January 9, 2013 at 1:56 PM  
Blogger Angela @ Reading Angels said...

I LOVE John Tucker Must Die and have no idea why. Cheese is just so good!

January 9, 2013 at 2:30 PM  
Blogger Christina said...

Another thing we agree on!

January 9, 2013 at 4:10 PM  
Blogger Kimberly @ Caffeinated Reviewer said...

I loved John Tucker must die and Princess Diaries, I watched them both with my then teen girls. I need to watch room with a view now!

January 9, 2013 at 5:06 PM  
Blogger Jenni said...

I love teen comedies too! Bend It Like Beckham is great! Loved it. I never did like The Princess Diaries movies though, I have a strong aversion to Anne Hathaway *shivers*

January 9, 2013 at 8:46 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Loving the new feature! But most of all- thank you sooooo much for using my absolute favorite moment from the Princess Diaries as a GIF! My sister and I always delighted greatly in watching Julie Andrews "schlump like this." And I totally agree that the movie was better than the book- no disrespect to Meg Cabot. Looking forward to more of these!

January 9, 2013 at 9:39 PM  
Blogger Christina said...

Oooh, you should! It's so incredibly beautiful. :)

January 10, 2013 at 10:54 AM  
Blogger Christina said...

Anne Hathaway is so cute, though!

January 10, 2013 at 10:54 AM  
Blogger Christina said...

Oh, glad you like it! I'm not sure how often I'll post these things. Maybe every five things? Who knows. Still figuring things out.

Julie Andrews is classy as fuck even when she schlumps. :)

January 10, 2013 at 10:55 AM  

Post a Comment

Every comment is appreciated and I will almost always respond, because I love conversing about books!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home