<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://readeroffictions.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
A Reader of Fictions: Announcing Sadie Hawkins Sunday

A Reader of Fictions

Book Reviews for Just About Every Kind of Book

Sunday, December 23, 2012

Announcing Sadie Hawkins Sunday

Some of you might be too young to remember the Sadie Hawkins concept, so allow me to explain. Back in the 1930s, this tradition began of occasionally hosting dances where women would ask the men! Shocking, right? Basically, the Sadie Hawkins dances turned the natural order of things (such as patriarchal society saw it) on its head.

In the same way, in this regular feature, I will be letting my blog readers choose what I review, rather than me doing so. Yes, I realize the name applies only loosely, but I like it so I really don't care.

To explain the way this will go down, I am inviting an imaginary confused reader to ask me questions.

"Why are you doing this?"
There were three motivators for this.
  1. I suck at deciding what to read outside of the review queue. There are too many options and my brain explodes.
  2. A while back, I posted a review of the first Hardy Boys book, which I read because I slept over at a friend's house and didn't have a book. As the first awake and bored out of my mind, I read the whole thing and wrote a silly review. Kara of Great Imaginations commented that I "should do this more often," and I got thinking about what precisely this was and devised this feature.
  3. More generally, this will let me interact more with you guys. People comment on my book hauls all the time, excited that I've bought something which I know I won't get to for months/years/ever. Now, if you're excited that I just bought your favorite book, you can fill out a form and get me to read it sooner rather than later or never.
"Really? Can I tell you to read ANYTHING?"
Well, no. There are some limitations:
  • Please restrict yourself to genres I have shown interest in the past, unless you have a very good reason to think I will like this book you're recommending.
  • Do not recommend your own book. This is not a way to get around a review request.
  • I need to be able to procure a copy of the book from my local library, my own collection, or free on an e-reader. The only exception is if I've wanted to buy the book anyway. If you REALLY want me to review, the book, you can purchase it for me, but I doubt anyone cares THAT much.
  • I retain ultimate veto power, in case I simply cannot embark on a book you suggest, like Moby Dick or something.
"As long as I follow those guidelines, you'll read whatever I want?"
Pretty much! I'm willing to write snarky reviews with gifs and the like, so long as the book isn't insanely long and the author isn't liable to give me more stress than its worth. Of course, if people go too crazy making me read the worst books in YA, I may have to close that down, so be responsible.

"Hmmm, much as I like this in theory, I'm not sure what to recommend. Ideas?"
Recommend your favorite books that you can't believe I haven't read, books that you want to see my opinion on for whatever reason before you risk reading them, books you think I'll love, or books you want to see me post giffy responses too. If you're hoping for a snark review, please restrict yourself to shorter books.

To learn more about my taste, in case you don't know already, check out my Review Archive or my Goodreads shelves.

"How often will you post?"
That depends on what the current book is. If someone chooses War and Peace for me to read, there could be a month or more before I post. If the books are mostly shorter (which they probably will be, since everyone loves YA), then I'll probably be posting weekly. Best guess would be 2-3 Sadie Hawkins Sunday posts a month. Basically, I'll post one when I've finished the book.

"Great! How do I recommend a shitty errr WONDERFUL book for you to read?"
Just fill out THIS FORM. Managing comments would be ridiculous. I'll choose the winning entry each time using random.org. You can suggest as much as you want as long as you follow the rules. All valid entries will remain in the queue until I get to them; entries will go in the same list each week, so no need to rerequest. I'll be linking the form to the SHS posts and to my book haul posts. When I post a review, I will also announce what the next SHS book will be. As an incentive to get some books in my form, the first valid entry will be chosen for the first week. BE FAST LIKE THE WIND!



NOTE: If you're a blogger and would like to do this too, let me know of your interest. If there's sufficient excitement about this, I might open it up and host a linky and all of that jazz. I'm also cool with keeping it just my thing.

Labels:

18 Comments:

Blogger Jenni said...

I think this a such a fun, interactive idea. I can't wait to see what you (get stuck) end up reading *ahem* I put in my suggestion!

December 23, 2012 at 10:12 PM  
Blogger Kara_Malinczak said...

This is a great idea. I can't wait to see how it works out for you. I'll participate soon when I see how this is going to all go down. Hahaha!

December 25, 2012 at 5:44 PM  
Blogger Christina said...

Awesome. :)

December 27, 2012 at 11:00 AM  
Blogger Christina said...

Bahaha, well, I'm hoping my FRIENDS will be nice and ask me to read happy things.

December 27, 2012 at 11:00 AM  
Blogger Blogger10 said...

This is a super cool idea. I'd be down for joining if you open it up via Linky.

December 28, 2012 at 8:19 PM  
Blogger Steph Sinclair said...

I love this idea! Now, let me see how I can cause mischief. Muhahahaha!

December 30, 2012 at 4:40 PM  
Blogger Christina said...

Cool. I don't know if/when I'll do that, but I am considering!

January 2, 2013 at 1:16 PM  
Blogger Wendy Darling said...

Heeeeeeeeeeeeee. THIS IS SUCH AN ENTERTAINING IDEA. *plots furiously* Although does the form actually tell you who submitted the suggestion? Ahem.

Also, I love that you call this a Sadie Hawkins feature!

January 2, 2013 at 1:17 PM  
Blogger Christina said...

Ha, oh no! :-p

January 3, 2013 at 11:39 AM  
Blogger Christina said...

Glad you like my idea. And that you like the name, because it took me forever to come up with it. Haha.

January 3, 2013 at 11:39 AM  
Blogger Sarah(Sarahandherbookshelves) said...

Is there any sort of limit to how many books we can put on this list? :)

March 5, 2013 at 8:13 PM  
Blogger Christina said...

I hadn't really considered that. Within reason, no.

March 5, 2013 at 8:18 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I really love this idea! It's not like I don't have enough to choose from on my own but this would help me branch out and bust out my comfort zone. I would totally join in on doing something like this... let me know if you do!

June 3, 2013 at 12:22 PM  
Blogger Christina said...

Some folks have already launched their own spin-offs. You're welcome to, as well. Just mention your inspiration in the announcement post, if you don't mind!

June 3, 2013 at 12:44 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Of course! :)

June 3, 2013 at 5:25 PM  
Blogger Alexia Boesen said...

I think I'm going to start my spin-off tomorrow. Of course I'll mention you in the announcement.

June 22, 2013 at 1:53 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

I'm terrible at deciding what to read next so I think this is a fabulous idea and I'd love to do it on my blog. I will definitely give you credit in my posts! =)

July 15, 2013 at 6:47 PM  
Blogger Johannah said...

This is an outstanding idea! But I have no idea what to recommend. .. I went to your goodreads shelf and felt overloaded and very behind in my reading! Ha ha!! I love that you have such a wide variety of reading taste too!

July 17, 2014 at 2:48 PM  

Post a Comment

Every comment is appreciated and I will almost always respond, because I love conversing about books!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home