<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://readeroffictions.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
A Reader of Fictions: Review: A Darkness Strange and Lovely

A Reader of Fictions

Book Reviews for Just About Every Kind of Book

Monday, July 15, 2013

Review: A Darkness Strange and Lovely

A Darkness Strange and Lovely
Something Strange and Deadly, Book 2

Author: Susan Dennard
Pages: 416
Publisher: HarperTeen
Publication Date: July 23, 2013
Read: July 11
Source: Gifted - thanks, Jamie!!!

Description from Goodreads:
Following an all-out battle with the walking Dead, the Spirit Hunters have fled Philadelphia, leaving Eleanor alone to cope with the devastating aftermath. But there’s more trouble ahead—the evil necromancer Marcus has returned, and his diabolical advances have Eleanor escaping to Paris to seek the help of Joseph, Jie, and the infuriatingly handsome Daniel once again. When she arrives, however, she finds a whole new darkness lurking in this City of Light. As harrowing events unfold, Eleanor is forced to make a deadly decision that will mean life or death for everyone.

First Sentence: "When Jie's letter came in the mail, I was so elated I forgot I had no hand."

Review:
I have been waiting for A Darkness Strange and Lovely since the moment I finished Something Strange and Deadly Susan Dennard captured my heart and my imagination in her debut, so I was eager to see what she would do with the next book. Happily, there is no second book syndrome here and ADSaL has all the elements that made SSaD such a delight.

Without a doubt, it's the narrative voice that makes Dennard's series stand out from the pack of paranormal offerings. Eleanor is so many things: clever, silly, practical, powerful, self-conscious, and infuriating. Her voice rings so clearly through this first person narrative, and she really doesn't sound like anyone but herself. Even when she's at her most irritating, when she digs herself a whole of lies so deep she can't see out because she's afraid no one will accept her, she's still her kooky, charming self. Also, the girl can eat, and I suspect she's a bit chunkier than the usual YA heroine, which is just another reason to love her.

Dennard really steps out of the box with Eleanor. She's no stereotype. She speaks her mind, eats anything she can get her hands on, and has far more power than her companions. In fact, her power scares everyone but herself. Actually, scratch that; it scares Eleanor a bit too. In the face of the most extraordinary circumstances, Eleanor is the kind of person who never stops trying, even when she only has one hand or everyone has turned their backs on her. Though she makes some really stupid choices, I still have so much respect and friendship in my heart for Eleanor.

The plot this time comes with a bit less zombie mayhem, and a bit more mystery. Eleanor sets off to join the Spirit Hunters in Paris, where a Marquis is hosting them. Paris is beset by les Morts, and the Spirit Hunters have yet to figure out who has been sacrificing people and raising their corpses. Dennard does a good job throwing out a red herring, and making things a little bit twisty without it being overwhelming.

Props, too, on romance remaining on the back burner, slowly simmering, but not to the boil stage yet. Though it's a good one, I think the time to unfold is necessary and will only make the moment when Daniel and Eleanor officially get together that much sweeter. Both of them still have some growing to do, and I like that Dennard gives them that time, rather than rushing them into some super intense forever love.

Dennard adds a couple of new cast members, most notably Laure and Oliver. Eleanor meets both on her passage to France, and I think I like them. They're definitely both interesting figures, and I want to know more about them. Clearly, Laure's going to be important in the third book, but, for now, there was a lot of time spent on her that doesn't seem to have accomplished much. Oliver's pretty awesome, and I like the dynamic he adds to the group, the tension. I am also thrilled that Oliver is not another love interest for Eleanor.

Readers who enjoyed Something Strange and Deadly will likely be pleased with Susan Dennard's sequel. Also, the moment ADSaL concludes, you're going to want book three something fierce, because it is going to be epic.

Rating: 4/5

Favorite Quote:
"'Do you want to know what my phantom hand is good for, Daniel?'
     'Please,' he said with a sneer.
     'This.' I slapped him across the cheek, so hard that even with my glove, the blow flamed up my arm."

Labels: , , , , , ,

12 Comments:

Blogger Faye M. said...

Wow, I never imagined a cover as lovely as this would house zombies! This sounds like an awesome series! I need to give this one a try and soon! I love kickass heroines who know what they're capable of and are not afraid to use that advantage. Hopefully, Eleanor's stupid decisions won't irritate me so much ;p Great review, Christina!

Faye @ The Social Potato

July 15, 2013 at 5:42 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

I didn't read your review because I still have to read the first book, but I did see you gave it 4 stars! Now I am excited to start this series.

July 15, 2013 at 10:21 AM  
Blogger Katie said...

OMGGGGGG I want this book so badly! I'm glad it's just as good as the first one. I feel like not many people have read this one yet - yours is the first review I've seen, I think. Hooray for no sophomore slump! :D

July 15, 2013 at 11:42 AM  
Blogger fakesteph said...

Whoa. That last quote is enough to make me want to start this series!!!

July 15, 2013 at 3:02 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I need this book now! I feel in love with Something Strange and Deadly as soon as I finished it and preordered A Darkness Strange and Lovely immediately.

I meet Susan a few weeks ago and she is one of the sweetest people ever! Can't wait to see what this book brings :)

​​
~Andrea @ Beauty but a Funny Girl

July 16, 2013 at 12:41 PM  
Blogger Lili said...

Love this book so much. You pretty much hit the nail on the head with this review!

July 18, 2013 at 2:17 PM  
Blogger Christina said...

Ahhh, there are zombies! This series is one of my favorites for paranormal things. You should check it out! Eleanor's decisions were dumb, but they made sense for who she is. Haha.

July 21, 2013 at 1:28 AM  
Blogger Christina said...

You will love it, Amy! You definitely need to read it.

July 21, 2013 at 1:30 AM  
Blogger Christina said...

I think I was a bit more feels-having in book one, but this one's a solid sequel by my accounting. Weeeee!

July 21, 2013 at 1:31 AM  
Blogger Christina said...

Sweet! You should. Highly recommended by me!

July 21, 2013 at 1:32 AM  
Blogger Christina said...

This series is just so much fun! They're totally fluff reads for me, but with a bit of bite. I just love how vibrant Eleanor is!

That's awesome you got to meet her. I've seen her, but not really talked to her.

July 21, 2013 at 1:33 AM  
Blogger Christina said...

Thanks! I'm not the only one who's read it already. Knew I couldn't be.

July 21, 2013 at 1:35 AM  

Post a Comment

Every comment is appreciated and I will almost always respond, because I love conversing about books!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home