<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://readeroffictions.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
A Reader of Fictions: Soul Meets Body - Death Cab for Cutie

A Reader of Fictions

Book Reviews for Just About Every Kind of Book

Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Soul Meets Body - Death Cab for Cutie

Magic Under Stone
Magic Under Glass, Book 2

Author:
Jaclyn Dolamore
Pages:
291
ARC Acquired from: Bloomsbury Children's Books

Warning: This is the second book in a series, and the review will contain spoilers for the first book.

Brief Summary:
Erris, still clockwork although now capable of motion so long as he's wound, and Nim set out on a journey to find sorcerer Ordorio Valdana. He may have some idea how to turn the prince back into a real fairy. Unfortunately, when they arrive, they find that the sorcerer has gone and will not be back until the summer. They decide to wait for his return, but the King of the Fairies has put forces into action, a jinn named Ifra, charged to bring Erris back.

Review:
Once again, Dolamore's book got off to a slightly slow start. The reason for this was the introduction of a new character, Ifra, whom I did not yet care about. I wanted desperately to hear more about Erris and Nim, and it was disappointing. Well, thankfully, just like in book one, the story soon took off, bringing me along for a magical ride in its firm grasp.

There are a slew of new folks in this installment, most importantly Ifra and Violet, a spoiled young girl and relative of Erris. Violet could actually inherit if Erris does not survive. At first, I was not wild about these decisions. By the end, I was totally sold. Of course, Violet is mostly annoying, but, one thing I love about Dolamore's writing, is how everything is shades of grey. The characters are all so real, because there are things that annoy me even about my favorites, and sparks of good in the bad guys.

Speaking of things that annoy me, much as I love Erris, which I really do, he was driving me crazy! Nim too. He was all mopey and just wanted to be alone all the time. Come on, man. I know your situation sucks, but it's gotten better, so why are you grumpier than when you couldn't move. Sigh. I mean, I get it, but it was painful going through that with the characters. Even the pain is better than if he was constantly perfect, but I just want him to be happy!

There was definitely none of the "we're in love so it's us against the world with our perfect relationship" thing that often drives me crazy with YA romances. Despite their feelings for one another, Nim and Erris clearly are having some difficulties. Considering the fact that they had only known one another for a brief period of time and under very extraordinary circumstances it's no wonder that some peace brought complications. They have to form a real life, normal bond...all while he's stuck in a clockwork body. Yikes.

Anyway, all of that, even the whiny bits, are just to explain why this book's so good. Life isn't always happy, and that is captured in the book. Still, there are moments of joy, moments that make your toes curl, and moments of hope. Also, I loved seeing Nim coming into her own, becoming a strong woman in more than just guts.

I want to end this review with a quote that illustrates just why Dolamore's series is so wonderful. Every heroine should have this mentality, imho: "I am not going to be helpless while some magical villain hauls off the people I love." So says Nimira.

This is a wonderful series, and I really hope that more books are coming!

Rating: 4.5/5

"I want to live where soul meets body
And let the sun wrap its arms around me
And bathe my skin in water cool and cleansing
And feel, feel what its like to be new"

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Sarah Elizabeth said...

Stuck in a clockwork body? Strange! I can see why he's a bit miserable, but like you said, you'd think he'd be a little bit happier now that he can move! I'm not a big fan of books with slow starts, but this series seems to have completely won you over so think I will have to give it a try!
Thanks, Sarah

May 10, 2012 at 3:38 AM  
Blogger Bookie Bee said...

Whoa! Cant move nless he is wound? Trust me i would never want to be in his position!!
Intriguing, interesting...Have added it to my ever growing TBR list!!

May 14, 2012 at 12:08 PM  
Blogger Nori said...

This series sounds so good! I definitely need to read these books!

May 15, 2012 at 3:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This sounds so good! I loved the quote too. I wish ever heroine would think like that.

May 25, 2012 at 3:52 AM  
Blogger Christina said...

Yes, they do! I pretty much love any heroine that doesn't just wait around for someone to save her.

May 25, 2012 at 8:31 AM  

Post a Comment

Every comment is appreciated and I will almost always respond, because I love conversing about books!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home