<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://readeroffictions.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
A Reader of Fictions: Review: Through to You

A Reader of Fictions

Book Reviews for Just About Every Kind of Book

Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Review: Through to You

Through to You

Author: Emily Hainsworth
Pages: 272
Publisher: Balzer + Bray
Publication Date: October 2, 2012
Source: HarperCollins via Edelweiss

Description from Goodreads:
Camden Pike has been grief-stricken since his girlfriend, Viv, died. Viv was the last good thing in his life: helping him rebuild his identity after a career-ending football injury, picking up the pieces when his home life shattered, and healing his pain long after the meds wore off. And now, he’d give anything for one more glimpse of her. But when Cam makes a visit to the site of Viv’s deadly car accident, he sees some kind of apparition. And it isn’t Viv.

The apparition’s name is Nina, and she’s not a ghost. She’s a girl from a parallel world, and in this world, Viv is still alive. Cam can’t believe his wildest dreams have come true. All he can focus on is getting his girlfriend back, no matter the cost. But things are different in this other world: Viv and Cam have both made very different choices, things between them have changed in unexpected ways, and Viv isn’t the same girl he remembers. Nina is keeping some dangerous secrets, too, and the window between the worlds is shrinking every day. As Cam comes to terms with who this Viv has become and the part Nina played in his parallel story, he’s forced to choose—stay with Viv or let her go—before the window closes between them once and for all.


First Sentence: "It's the same dream I've been having for the past two months—Viv walking away from glass and fire, her laughter echoing through the night."

Review:
Through to You is one of those books that reminds me, in case I could forget, why I love to read YA fiction. It's a genre-blending, throught-provoking, creepy, beautiful, unique book. Prepare to be surprised, confused and refreshed by a read that doesn't fall into the usual YA plot lines.

At first, Through to You comes off a straight contemporary. We join Cam mired in his grief, two months after the death of his girlfriend Viv in a car accident. He was with her, but she died and he lived. He spends his time at the memorial at the site of the accident and wallowing, doing his best to avoid any connections with anyone, be it his psychiatrist, his family or his friend Mike. He feels responsible for Viv's death, and has little interest in his own life. His only real goal at this point his keeping his depression hidden enough that he won't be put on pills that might make him forget her.

Viv and Cam used to be the power couple, the star quarterback and the gorgeous cheerleader. Two years before, though, he hurt his leg in an accident and couldn't recover well enough for football. She quit cheerleading to spend more time with him. Their friends, caught up in the social activities, almost all abandoned them. They built their lives around one another. Now, with Viv gone, Cam's grief is tangible. I could feel his ache for her.

One of the most impressive things about Through to You is the authenticity of Camden's voice. He felt one hundred percent like a male to me. Writing a book from the perspective of a character with a different gender than one's own is tricky, but Hainsworth has pulled it off beautifully. The first person narration fit the story perfectly, and I really just loved Hainsworth's writing style.

The novel takes a science fiction/fantasy turn when he sees what he thinks is a ghost. Nina turns out to be a girl from an alternate universe, one where Viv still lives. What an impressive concept! If you were mired in grief, separated forever from the person you love, what would you do to get them back again? Would you leave your universe for another? The why of the situation never gets explained, but this wasn't the kind of book where that bothered me at all. The curiosity of why its happening is part of the fun.

From a philosophical perspective, I could not get enough of the alternate universe stuff. The people are the same physically, and many of their circumstances are identical. However, are they truly the same? How much can two counterparts differ? The characterization is almost entirely stunning. I say almost because I'm not entirely sure about Viv. It might have been helpful to get to see something of Viv and Cam's relationship before her death. Without it, I had no sense of who she'd really been as a person, so I had no real idea how to feel about her counterpart.

Emily Hainsworth packs a lot of emotion into this relatively brief novel. If you enjoyed C. K. Kelly Martin's My Beating Teenage Heart or Amy Garvey's Cold Kiss, get your hands on this book stat. Through to You alternately wowed me with its gorgeous prose and frightened me with its eeriness.

Rating: 4/5

Favorite Quote: "My house is empty. I wander through the rooms, unsure of where I want to be until I realize I don't want to be anywhere. Every room has a hole in it—where a chair was, a stereo, a set of books, a closet of clothes. Mom never filled them in after Dad left, and I guess I didn't care. But since the accident, all I can see are the holes in things."

Labels: , , , , , , ,

15 Comments:

Blogger Jenni said...

This cover always catches my eye and as I see more and more reviews for it popping up, I think I'll really like it. I love reading the male perspective, maybe because it's the opposite sex and that's always fascinating, I don't know, but I find that I appreciate male narration a lot. I like that this has a bit of a twist to it and that you could really feel Cam's pain. Great review!

September 18, 2012 at 12:11 PM  
Blogger Christina said...

I hope you like it! The cover has grown on me more as I've seen it. I think it's so interesting when authors write the opposite gender and do it well!

September 18, 2012 at 1:28 PM  
Blogger Blythe Harris said...

I'm really glad that you were able to find many things enjoyable in this novel that I was unable to. Clearly I did not like this as much as you did, but I definitely see where you're coming from in your points. Though I did not really like Camden, I found his struggles to be believable (for the most part, I thought that there was so much crappy stuff going on in his life that eventually, for me, his life lost its believability along the way), and for me, this book's saving grace was its writing and that I found the whole alternate dimension concept interesting. Great review, Christina!

September 18, 2012 at 2:14 PM  
Blogger Christina said...

Awww, thanks. I'm so sorry you didn't like it as much as I did, but that really does happen. I love these sorrow-soaked books, but I totally get what you mean about them losing legitimacy if the awfulness goes too far. At some point, they enter the realm of the ludicrous, perhaps even the comical. I just really loved her writing and the tone, as well as the concept. I think reading My Beating Teenage Heart primed me for the read as well in a strange way.

September 18, 2012 at 2:24 PM  
Blogger Wendy Darling said...

I was already looking forward to reading this, Christina, but your review just hit a whole bunch of things that I LOVE--sorrow handled well, alternate universes, COLD KISS, etc.! I must get my hands on this one soon. Lovely review! Sounds like this one's right up my alley.

Wendy @ The Midnight Garden

September 18, 2012 at 9:52 PM  
Blogger roro said...

a real fictional male voice . yaaaay, yes. gr8 review

September 19, 2012 at 1:02 AM  
Blogger Maja (The Nocturnal Library) said...

I'm always unsure about female authors writing in male voice, but some of them get it right and I'm glad to hear this worked. I love alternate universes stories (Unravelling being my favorite) and I can't wait to get my hands on this one.
Excellent review!

September 19, 2012 at 2:17 AM  
Blogger Christina said...

Hahaha, well, I hope you agree with me instead of Blythe, because she thought the sorrow was too much. *shrug* It totes is My Beating Teenage Heart + Cold Kiss, though. :)

September 19, 2012 at 9:17 AM  
Blogger Christina said...

I thought so!

September 19, 2012 at 9:17 AM  
Blogger Christina said...

I LOVED UNRAVELING! So excited for that sequel when it comes out!

September 19, 2012 at 9:17 AM  
Blogger Kayla Beck said...

I only looked at your rating for this because I *really* want to read this book. I'm excited since it got a 4 from you! :-D

September 20, 2012 at 8:49 AM  
Blogger Christina said...

I don't know if you'll like this, Kayla...the first half is basically a sad contemp.

September 20, 2012 at 8:58 AM  
Blogger Kimberly @ Caffeinated Reviewer said...

Oh your review has me adding this to my list, I want to read about the alternate universe, and that cover..I Love it! Fantastic review!

September 20, 2012 at 10:05 AM  
Blogger Christina said...

Thanks! Hope you like it!

September 20, 2012 at 10:07 AM  
Blogger Kayla Beck said...

*sigh*

September 20, 2012 at 3:31 PM  

Post a Comment

Every comment is appreciated and I will almost always respond, because I love conversing about books!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home